Maybe you noticed that we are making altered books every Thursday evening during open studio (5-8pm every Thursday at 827 N Madelia). But what are altered books you say? Let me tell you about altered books and why we love them.
1. We get to repurpose old books. Although at first painting, cutting, gluing, or sewing on a book seemed blasphemous, we soon realized that many books are no longer needed, they are damaged or homeless. Plus lots of other repurposed materials are perfect for using in altered books. Turning old books into art is more sustainable than using all new art materials.
2. Altered books can be like art journals or stand alone art pieces. During our Thursday open studio we will lead you through the steps for starting an altered art journal, but we won't stop you if you have the inspiration to start any kind of altered book project.
3. Basic materials like scissors, glue, drawing materials, paints or any other medium of your preference plus an old book is all you need to get started. We will provide all those basics but you are welcome to bring any specialty tools or materials you want to create with.
4. Want to paint? Or needle felt? Maybe your medium of choice is collage or mixed media. Perfect! An altered book is ready for any style or process of your choice. Perhaps you want to use your journal to experiment with different materials or styles.
5. Anyone can do it. Young or old, beginner or expert. So bring an altered book you have already started or come and start one with us this week.
Check out our Altered Books Pinterest board for more ideas and join us to make altered books during open studio at Madelia Mercantile. Its just $5/hour to use the open studio and we provide all the basics for you to get started. Please bring an old hardcover or board book that you would like to use.